The European Union (EU) is a political community constituted as an international organization whose aim is to promote integration and a common government of the European people and countries.
According to the Article 3 of the European Union Treaty, Union’s aim is to promote peace, its values and the well-being of its peoples. It is based on the values of freedom, democracy, equality, law enforcement and respect for human rights and dignity.
The Union’s mission:
– Establishing an area of freedom, security and justice without internal borders.
– Developing an internal market where competition is free, within the framework of a social economy market whose aim is full employment.
– Creating a sustainable development with an economic growth capable of fulfilling the well-being needs of our society in the short, medium and, especially, long term.
– Promoting scientific and technical progress.
– Fighting against social exclusion and discrimination. Promoting social justice and protection, equality between women and men, solidarity between generations and, protection of children’s rights.
– Promoting economical, social and territorial cohesion and solidarity among Member States.
Also, the European Union aims to respect its cultural richness and linguistic diversity (23 official languages) and, to ensure the conservation and development of European cultural heritage.
Image source; http://sugerenciasgeografiahumana.blogspot.com/
Written by: Carolina Aznar
Accessed on 20/12/11